Skip to main content

Townsend Harris: Harris and CCNY

This research guide is intended to help you locate print and electronic resources on Townsend Harris accessible in the CCNY Archives and libraries, as well as from off campus.

Harris and CCNY

CCNY

Townsend Harris and CCNY

"Open the doors to all, let the children of the rich and the poor take their seats together and know of no distinction save that of industry, good conduct, and intellect"--Townsend Harris (the New York Enquirer, March 15, 1847)

While serving as the President of the New York City Board of Education from 1846 to 1848, Townsend Harris lobbied the New York State legislature to authorize the expenditure of the Literature Fund administered by the New York State Board of Regents to support a public institution of higher learning in New York. At the time, the Literature Fund was only allocated to the University of the City of New York (now New York University), and Columbia College (now Columbia University).

On May 7, 1847, a bill passed both houses of the New York State legislature and was to establish the Free Acamedy, now the City College of New York. The academy was originally built at the corner of Lexington Avenue and 23rd Street.


ハリスとCCNY

"全ての人々にその扉を開き、裕福な家庭の子供も、貧しい家庭の子供も、並んで座り、貧富の差が事業での成功、善い行い、知性に差を作ることは決して無いんだということを教えるのだ。--タウンゼンド・ハリス (the New York Enquirer, March 15, 1847)

ニューヨークの教育委員会委員長を務めていた1846年から1848年の間、ハリスはニューヨーク州立立法府に、当時州が管理していたLiterature Fundという資金が公共の高等教育にも支払われるよう働きかけました。

 

 

 

Image: "The Free Academy." 

Librarian/Chief of Cataloging & MPC Division

Yoko Inagi Ferguson
Contact:
yinagi@ccny.cuny.edu

Cohen Library
NAC#2/305
The City College of New York
160 Convent Avenue
New York, NY 10031
212.650.7623